July 16, 2010 by Danielle
I’ll have some great (and hopefully not embarassing) videos coming up next week–so remember to check back on Monday.
In the meantime, just wanted to share one of my favorite eggplant recipes with you. “Eggplant Towers” make for a healthy summer time dish. It’s a vegetarian recipe, but since it incorporates the the mighty and meaty eggplant, it’s a great meal for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. My meat loving man-friend proclaimed this meal the “healthier, veggie version of the Big Mac”. With the addition of pesto and good for you feta, it’s an all-around flavorful and filling dish.
Have a great weekend!
1 eggplant cut into 3/4″ discs
2 tomatoes sliced into discs
approx. 1 tbsp. olive oil
approx. 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
pesto (I use pre-made from Trader Joe’s)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place eggplant on a baking sheet
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Whisk together oil and vinegar
4. Brush oil and vinegar mixture onto both sides of eggplant slices
5. Season eggplant with salt and pepper
6. Place each slice of seasoned eggplant in a pan and cook until tender, about 4 minutes each side
7. Place eggplant back on baking sheet and top with a bit of pesto, followed by a slice of tomato. Then sprinkle a bit of feta cheese on top of the tomato. Repeat until you have yourself an eggplant tower (3 slices of eggplant, 2 slices of tomato)
8. Place in oven for about 15 minutes then enjoy!
If you want even more eggplant info and recipes, check out these from FitSugar.