Let’s Split It 80/20

4

September 19, 2012 by Danielle

Happy Wednesday!

I’m especially pumped because it’s Friday for this girl! Tomorrow I’m headed to a friend’s wedding and I couldn’t be more excited. After a summer of 55 degree days and this-

THE FOG. THE COLD. It must be summer in San Francisco.

I’m headed to this-

HOT! HOT!

Although I expect to indulge (It’s the beach! It’s a wedding! It’s finally summer!), I plan on keeping the 80/20 rule in mind, which is something that I’d heard about before, but finally clicked when I was listening to Jillian Michael’s podcast on a walk last week.

Well first off, what is the 80/20 rule? The 80/20 rule dictates that 80 percent of a person’s food intake for the day should be healthy and nutritious and the other 20 percent should be reserved for treats. Yep, you heard that, treats built into every day. I love broccoli as much as the next gal, but sometimes I just want a piece of chocolate and the 80/20 rule helps keep everything in check and prevents overeating and that overfull feeling…because no one wants that.

This was more like the 10/90 mishap.

Of course, I’d heard of the 80/20 rule before Jillian, but I was confused as to how to implement it. Did I make 80 percent of my five daily meals nutritious and then reserve 20 percent of those meals for treats? Did I make my plate 80 percent healthy and fill the remaining 20 percent of the plate with treats?

With all of these questions floating around in my head, I was glad that Jillian cleared things up for me; make 80 percent of your daily calories nutrient dense and healthy and reserve 20 percent for treats. For example, if you plan on taking in 1500 calories per day, 300 of those (or 20 percent) of those are reserved for treats.

Well, that was easy.

Ah! Running off to work! Hope you have a great Wednesday!

Have you heard of the 80/20 rule? Do you use it?

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Let’s Split It 80/20

  1. Runner Girl Eats says:

    I absolutely love the 80/20 rule. That wiggle room for treats definitely saves me from going nuts with not so healthy food. Everything in moderation 🙂

  2. […] went to Gulf Shores for a friend’s wedding which was amazingly fun. First off, I enjoyed warm (okay, wonderfully hot) weather instead of the […]

  3. […] all of those caps are necessary and yes, this number one fan is excited. If you didn’t watch last night’s premiere, I would sum it up with these […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Instagram

Instagram

Enter your e-mail address below for e-mail updates.

Join 1,306 other followers

”FitFluential
%d bloggers like this: