October 24, 2012 by Danielle
I have to admit-I’m pretty proud of this one.
It might just look like ordinary chicken soup to you, but to me it’s a feat of mass proportions. Okay, I’m being a little dramatic, it’s homemade soup. And I don’t mean homemade as in I bought chicken broth and chicken breast from the store, mixed it up with veggies and noodles and called it a day. I mean the kind that requires a little bit of pre-planning and an entire chicken.
Before I get ahead of myself, let me tell you how I did it! In three parts of course.
It all started on Sunday, when I decided to crock pot (it’s a verb now) a full chicken-just for kicks.
Crock Pot Chicken
- 1 3-4 pound chicken (neck, gizzard removed-you can buy them this way-I did because my gag reflex is sensitive 🙂 )
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 pound diced carrots
- Placed diced veggies in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Season chicken and place in crock pot.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
The chicken was tender moist and delicious (so tender that a drumstick just fell off…).
Since I had conquered the cooking an entire chicken thing, I decided to take things a step further and make my own chicken stock. There’s no pictures of this part, because it looks like a massacre (#honesty).
- Bones from aforementioned chicken
- onions and carrots from aforementioned chicken
- bay leaves
- 4 cups of water
- Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove bones from mixture and use fine strainer to remove vegetables etc. from broth. Note: I removed the bones, but left the vegetables and small bits of chicken in the mixture, refrigerated it for a day and then strained it for a richer flavor.
The soup and the stock were complete and now my chicken now had a home-in some chicken noodle soup.
- Chicken stock
- Chicken from 3-4 pound chicken (about 4 cups), diced
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cups rice noodles
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- Boil broth and reduce to a simmer.
- Add vegetables and spices (to taste) and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and noodles and cook on medium for another 10 minutes, or until noodles are fully cooked.