November 14, 2012 by Danielle
Since it’s starting to get cold(er) outside, I thought I’d share a seasonal drink I’ve been whipping up lately.
When I did my weekly meal shopping, I came across Trader Joe’s Peppermint extract and decided it would be the perfect way to spice up my morning coffee.
And it did! It’s like a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha without the additives, three dollars, sugar…you get the idea. For reference, here’s the nutrition information for a tall Starbucks Peppermint Mocha made with non-fat milk-
Yep you read that correctly, FORTY grams of sugar. I’m all about seasonal drinks, but I’d rather skip out on the sugar overload.
On the other hand, my version clocks in at about 15 calories, give or take.
So here you go!
- 12 ounces coffee (throw an extra shot in there if you want!)
- .25-.5 teaspoon Peppermint extract (adjust according to your taste preference)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (2 oz)
- 1 packet Truvia or sweetener of your choice
- Put combine Truvia and almond milk and microwave for 2 minutes. If you have the luxury of using the stovetop in the morning, simmer until Truvia dissolves
- Add almond milk and Truvia combination to coffee and stir in peppermint extract.
- There you go! If you have a frother, give the almond milk a quick spin and you’ll get an even fancier drink. Even if you don’t have a frother, try this quick tip from The Kitchn!
Happy Hump Day!