Dairy Free Coconut Ice Cream
From Paleo Diet Lifestyle
1 can full fat coconut milk
4 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
- Egg yolks will make for a richer ice cream. I tried both methods and by far preferred the two yolk version.
Mix-ins of your choice
1. In a double boiler (or a pot with a mixing bowl on top) boil water until it is just boiling.
2. Pour coconut milk and vanilla extract into bowl and heat until hot, but not boiling.
3. Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk eggs.
4. While whisking, ladle a spoonful of warm coconut milk into the eggs. Once coconut milk is incorporated into the eggs, add another ladle of coconut milk into the eggs and once that is incorporated, add one more. This is called tempering, which warms the eggs slowly so they don’t scramble.
5. Once the coconut milk is combined with the eggs, add the mixture back into the remaining double boiler and whisk vigorously.
6. Continue whisking until a thick custard forms, being careful not to let the mixture boil.
7. At this point, you can add your mix ins (I added peanut butter at this point) or wait until the mixture has cooled if you don’t want melted mix-ins (I added dairy free chocolate chips at this point).
8. Allow mixture to cool in the refrigerator until it is cool to the touch, at which point you can add in any additional mix-ins.
9. Transfer to tupperware and transfer to freezer, mixing vigorously every 30 minutes to reduce the formation of ice crystals.
10. After mixture has frozen completely, about 4-5 hours, scoop and enjoy!